2008年4月22日火曜日

Robinson Crusoe


Tittle: Robinson Crusoe
Author: Daniel Defoe
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Date of publication:2000/8/17


Words


1.thief
Page 3
Context: They were famous thieves of the sea at that time.
Definition: Someone who steals things from another person or place
Example: My friends were thieves, they were caught by the police.
2.shore
Page 5
Context: Swim to the shore.
Definition: The land along the edge of a large area of water such as an ocean or lake
Example: I walked along the shore of the Pacific Ocean.
3.leopard
Page 8
Context: I think they were leopards.
Definition: A large animal of the cat family, with yellow fur and black spots, which lives in Africa and South Asia
Example: My favorite animal is leopard.
4.wreck
Page 12
Context: It was wrecked and there was nobody near it.
Definition: Destroy a ship
Example: We saved a ship from wreck.
5.cave
Page 14
Context: I found a little cave in the side of a hill.
Definition: A large natural hole in the side of a cliff or hill, or under the ground
Example: The primitive humans were living in the caves.
6.goat
Page 22
Context: There were many goats on the island.
Definition: An animal that has horns on top of its head and long hair under its chin, and can climb steep hills and rocks
Example: My family is drinking goat's milk everyday.


I knew this story, so I could understand easily. It took about one and a half hours to finish reading this book. There were some words which I didn't know, but I understood meanings of these words now.
The main character was Robinson Crusoe. He was born in the city of York in the north of England. He wanted adventure and an exciting life. He decided to be a sailor, and to travel the seas of the world. In 1659, he was sailing from Brazil to Africa with his friends. One day there was a terrible storm. The ship was wrecked. He was the only survivor of the accident. He expressed gratitude for surviving. He reached the uninhabited island. There were no food, no boat, no way of escape. Then, he lived for 27 years at there. After the hard life of 27 years, he was able to return to the England safely.

I was impressed that he bravely faced the danger. He never gave it up.

1 件のコメント:

Kirk Masden さんのコメント...

I'm really, really happy with what you are doing. Keep up the good work!!